Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Alice Bachman's Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs (local farmer eggs)
1/2 cup buttermilk (don't panic-tip at the end)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick butter, melted then add 3 T. cocoa (I use Trader Joe's) and add 1 cup HOT water


Mix sugar and flour and beat in eggs.  Next add hot water/cocoa/butter mixture.  Add buttermilk, soda and vanilla.  Beat well by hand.  Pour into 9 X 13 cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 

Frosting:
Melt 1 stick butter (yes, I know) with 3 T. cocoa powder.  Add box of powdered sugar, 6 T. buttermilk and 1 tsp. vanilla and mix it all together.  Make sure butter is all melted in and pour over cake after cake has cooled a bit. 
***I love this cake because it requires no strange ingredients except the buttermilk but my grandmother, Lavera taught me a trick years ago how to "create" my own buttermilk!  What a great trick...put a little vinegar in the measuring cup and add milk. Let it set for a few minutes and voila, it will become buttermilk!!  Easy.  So make it and frost it and let your family eat it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment